Charles Haskell Title I
Parent Involvement Policy
It is the purpose and intent of Charles Haskell Elementary, in a cooperative effort with parents, teachers, and the community, to plan and implement Title I site programs to empower all students to succeed in a changing society.
We recognize the word “parent” has several meanings. “Parent” may include guardians and other family members involved in supervising the child’s education. Programs and practices will be established to meet the diverse needs, languages, and cultures of students and parents.
Elements of Effective Programs
Charles Haskell Elementary will hold meetings, including but not limited to an annual meeting, to which all parents of participating Title I children are invited. All parent meetings will consist of the following:
- Communication between home and school is regular, two-way, and meaningful. Effective home-school communication is the two-way sharing of meaningful information vital to student success. This two-way communication will occur in a variety of ways, such as: school visits, phone calls, parent conferences, Take Home Folders, report cards, parent compacts and emails.
- Responsible parenting is promoted and supported. Parents are a child’s first and continue to be the most important teacher. Charles Haskell Elementary will work with community agencies to link parents to family support services and resources in the community as needed.
- Parents play an integral role in assisting student learning. Parents can be effective partners in helping to raise a student’s academic achievement and self-esteem. Charles Haskell Elementary will develop positive relationships and enlist the support of parents to develop a strong support system to help ensure academic success for each student.
- Parents are welcome in the school, and their support and assistance are sought. Parents are welcome in the school and classrooms. Parents have a right to access educational records and vital information concerning their child’s strengths, challenges, and accomplishments. Capitalizing on the expertise and skills of the parents strengthens the family, school, and community.
- Parents are full partners in the decisions that affect children and families. Charles Haskell Elementary is committed to involving parents in the decision-making processes. We will actively seek and enlist parent participation on issues such as curriculum, discipline policies, and overall reform measures.
- Community resources are made available to strengthen school programs, family practices, and student learning. Charles Haskell Elementary is a vital part of the community. When we work together, both are strengthened in every aspect. Community members will share their expertise and read to classrooms throughout the year.
Charles Haskell Elementary recognizes the importance of setting expectations and creating a climate conducive to parent involvement. We will participate in professional development activities which assist teachers and staff in areas of communicating with parents.
We will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve academic achievement. We will help parents understand state and district standards and assessments, home-to-school activities, and Title I programs and services. This will be done via parent nights, take home folders, and reports.
Commitment to Implementation
This policy will be made available to all parents of Title I students attending Charles Haskell Elementary. Support will be provided to parents and teachers as they plan and implement effective parent involvement programs. Parents’ input into the design and implementation of the district policy is vital. School planning processes will include:
- A school/parent compact for teaching and learning.
- Parent participation in school improvement planning.
- Distribution of information related to school goals, academic content standards, and student progress measures on performance and assessments.
- Implementation of proven strategies for engaging parents to support student learning.
Commitment to Evaluation
Charles Haskell Elementary ensures that parents will participate in an evaluation of the content and effect of this policy on the success of students. The evaluation will be used to improve and/or create practices to enhance parent involvement in education.
This Parent Involvement Policy was updated in 2018. It has been revised jointly with and agreed on by teachers and parents of participating Title I students at Charles Haskell Elementary. It is available on our school website.