Focus for Student Success
What is a Family-School Compact?
A Family-School Compact for Achievement is an agreement that parents, students, and teachers develop together. It explains how parents and teachers will work together to make sure all students get the support they need to reach and exceed grade level standards.
- Begin with standards
- Focus on student learning
- Respond to school data
- Define everyone’s responsibilities
- Depend on us to believe in them and use them!
The parents and staff of Charles Haskell developed this Family-School Compact for achievement. Parents assisted with the suggestions for home activities to support learning and school-wide meetings are held annually to review the compact.
Parents are welcome to contribute comments at any time.
For more information on this Family-School Compact please contact your child’s teacher.
Our Goals for Student Achievement
Charles Haskell administrators and teachers have studied our student performance data to decide on the most important areas of improvement for our school.
Reading – To increase reading proficiency by 5% over our total percentage of 79% for the school year, our school will concentrate on the following areas:
- Inferences and interpretation
- Accessing and researching information
Math – To increase math proficiency by 5% over our total percentage of 79% for the school year, our school will concentrate on the following areas:
- Number operations
- Number sense
When teachers, students, and families work together, we CAN achieve our goals!
In the Classroom:
The 4th grade team will work with students and their families to develop students’ reading and math skills. Some of our key connections with families will be:
- Provide parents with a home learning kit full of engaging materials dealing with accessing information.
- Offer Parent Math Night to focus on developing math skills, including number operations and number sense.
- Our monthly school newsletter will feature activities families can participate in at home to expose students to various research materials and how to utilize them properly.
- Our school web page has links to family friendly web sites for improving number operations.
- Teachers will use P.E.M.D.A.S., Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally, to teach and reinforce the order of operations.
- Use P.E.M.D.A.S. to help children use the correct order of operations: parentheses. exponents, multiplication/division, addition/subtraction.
- Use riddles with your children to work on making inferences.
- Research and plan a vacation in Oklahoma with your child.
- Use pictures to help children make interpretations.
Communication about Student Learning:
Charles Haskell is committed to regularly communicating with families about children’s learning. Our communication methods with parents may include:
- Daily or weekly take home folders
- Parent-teacher conferences
- Monthly school newsletters
- Weekly class newsletters
- School Way App
- Infinite Campus Parent Portal
Do you have questions about your child’s progress?
Parents may contact their child’s teacher by phone or email. Email addresses are on the school website at http://charleshaskell.edmondschools.net/contact-our-teachers/.