Focus for Student Success
What is a Family-School Compact?
A Family-School Compact for Achievement is an agreement that parents, students, and teachers develop together. It explains how parents and teachers will work together to make sure all students get the support they need to reach and exceed grade level standards.
- Begin with standards
- Focus on student learning
- Respond to school data
- Define everyone’s responsibilities
- Depend on us to believe in them and use them!
The parents and staff of Charles Haskell developed this Family-School Compact for achievement. Parents assisted with the suggestions for home activities to support learning and school-wide meetings are held annually to review the compact.
Parents are welcome to contribute comments at any time.
For more information on this Family-School Compact please contact your child’s teacher.
Our Goals for Student Achievement
Charles Haskell administrators and teachers have studied our student performance data to decide on the most important areas of improvement for our school.
Reading – To increase reading proficiency by 5% over our total percentage of 82% for the school year, our school will concentrate on the following areas:
- Summary and generalizations
- Accessing information
Math – To increase math proficiency by 5% over our total percentage of 89% for the school year, our school will concentrate on the following areas:
When teachers, students, and families work together, we CAN achieve our goals!
In the Classroom:
The 5th grade team will work with students and their families to develop students’ reading and math skills. Some of our key connections with families will be:
- Provide parents with a home learning kit full of engaging materials dealing with measurement.
- Offer Parent Reading and Math Nights to focus on skills related to our goals.
- Our monthly school newsletter will feature activities families can participate in at home to expose students to various resource materials and how to utilize them properly.
- Our school web page has links to family friendly web sites for improving number operations.
- Have children use a sales ad to “purchase” items with a set amount of money. Throw in some coupons to stretch their brains and make it fun!
- Children can measure area and perimeter of various pieces of furniture.
- Research and plan a dream vacation with your child.
- Using a newspaper article have children identify main idea and important details.
Communication about Student Learning:
Charles Haskell is committed to regularly communicating with families about children’s learning. Our communication methods with parents may include:
- Daily or weekly take home folders
- Parent-teacher conferences
- Monthly school newsletters
- Weekly class newsletters
- School Way App
- Infinite Campus Parent Portal
Do you have questions about your child’s progress?
Parents may contact their child’s teacher by phone or email. Email addresses are on the school website at http://charleshaskell.edmondschools.net/contact-our-teachers/.